Tuesday 28 August 2012

DGTL12002 Week 6

discuss why you might or why you might not make such a foaf file available to the world at large?

Umm after considering this I would not personally provide a foaf file to the world. Mostly because I am pretty big on privacy and security. You might argue that it only provides simple things such as my name or email address, but quite frankly with the amount of geniuses in the world now, who is to say that someone can't just come along and collect all my information from the data he can collect from a foaf file.

Now unbiasedly speaking there are many pros and cons to a foaf file.
Pros would work on that fact it would make networking with people with common interests or activities so much easier.
Data collection of clients for specific webpages would be very simple.

But it just feel cons could outway the pros.
Cons would be, any data you wouldn't know about could be stored within your foaf file.
People could easily find out your personal information regarding your full name, email, friends and even online activities. If that doesn't scream security warning then I don't know what does. I don't want any raggamuffin being able to spam my email inbox consistently just because I let a file put out my email address, or have my friends harrassed or stalked also.

I see the big idea behind this, but i still feel that people would use the net with their security still in mind. The Internet is open to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment